Sep 9, 2012
Hampton Court Palace is home to eleven terracotta roundels containing busts of the Roman Emperors. They were made by the Florentine sculptor Giovanni da Maiano in 1521, on a commission by Cardinal Wolsey. Although they have been moved several times, some of the roundels have been on the outside of the gatehouses at Hampton Court for nearly 500 years. We are currently working on a large conservation project to study and conserve these important works of art.